Emmanuel Verraes has an extensive experience in intellectual property rights, media & entertainment law and ICT-law. Years of experience as a former legal and business affairs director within music and television and entertainment companies have resulted in a comprehensive understanding of the sector and its related legal domains.
Emmanuel advises a wide range of players from the creative sector, such as multinational and independent recording companies, artists and composers, visual artists and art galleries, actors and celebrities, artist managers, publishers, scriptwriters and directors, management companies, radio & television broadcasters, audio-visual production companies, authors, journalists, architects, designers, promo & marketing agencies, event & concert promoters, as well as any other enterprise that deals with intellectual property rights.
Dutch, English, French, German
- Master of Laws – University of Leuven (KUL) (B), 2001
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law – Queen Mary, University of London (UK), 2002
Membership and Activities
- Member of the Brussels’s Bar (B), since 2012
- Registered legal consultant at the Bar of New York (USA), since 2016
- Member of the Federal Public Service Economy Committee for consultations concerning collective copyright and related rights management (nominated by Ministerial Decree of 26 October 2011)
- Member of the Association Littéraire Internationale du Droit d’Auteur (BVA), since 2000
- Member of the International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (IAEL), since 2004
- Member of the Beneluxvereniging voor Merken- en Modellenrecht (BMM), since 2011
- Vice-President of the Brussels Bar Association (VPG)
- Author of publications and guest lecturer
- BLANPAIN, R. (ed.), VAN HEUSDEN, E., VERRAES, E. en VERROKEN, M., “Auteurscontracten voor educatieve en wetenschappelijke uitgaven”, Brugge, Vanden Broele 2016, 3rd ed.
- SEGERS, M., MUSSO, P. en VERRAES, E., “Geen vrijheid blijheid voor negatieve recensies op sociale media”, De Juristenkrant 2018, 7.
- September 2018, Brussels (BE), European Parliament, Speech on the rights of authors and publishers
- November 2018, London (UK), AIJA Art Law Congress, Lecture on artist’s resale rights in international and comparative perspective
- January 2019, Milan (IT), Foreign Bar Councils, Lecture on International circulation of artworks